The treatment of infertility with acupuncture and Chinese medicine can be traced as far back as 2,000 years. These ancient, time-tested techniques improve fertility rates and support a woman's whole body, unlocking unlimited potential for health, healing, and childbearing.
A landmark study published in the medical journal Fertility & Sterility1 found that acupuncture dramatically improves the chance of becoming pregnant when used in conjunction with other assisted reproductive techniques. Researchers from Weill Cornell Medical Center in New York reviewed studies and concluded that acupuncture helps to:
- increase blood circulation to the uterus, which improves the chances of an ovum implanting on the uterine wall
- reduce anxiety, stress, and the hormones that are secreted during stressful situations that can significantly decreases fertility
- normalize hormone and endocrine systems that regulate ovulation, especially in women with polycystic ovarian syndrome
- positively affect the hypothalamic-pituitary-ovarian axis, which plays a key role in fertility
- regulate menstrual cycle
In a study published in Human Reproduction Journal2, an ultrasound was used to evaluate blood flow to the uterus during acupuncture treatments. The study found blood flow increased during acupuncture treatments. According to Dr. Nancy Snyderman, "When acupuncture needles are placed correctly, it can affect the nervous system. The idea is that if you stimulate the nervous system, you can make the uterus quiet and allow blood to flow." Relaxing the uterus and increasing blood flow allows for the successful implantation of an embryo within the uterine lining.
Acupuncture and Chinese medicine can raise the fertility potential for women by affecting the quality, quantity, balance and flow of Qi and Blood. When Qi and Blood are circulating freely through the body, every cell, tissue and organ is properly nourished and functioning well. When this occurs, a woman's health and fertility are increased.
Acupuncture and Chinese medicine provide a safe, natural, and effective approach to treating infertility and enjoying a healthy pregnancy. Why should you try acupuncture and Chinese medicine?
- An acupuncturist does not treat just symptoms, but instead activates the body's natural healing potential by treating the root causes that have lead to the problem or disease.
- Acupuncture and Chinese medicine are completely natural. In modern Western treatments, undesired side effects and accumulated toxicity from invasive procedures and drug therapies occur.
- Acupuncture and Chinese medicine can be used to strengthen, support, and balance overall health and well-being, so other fertility procedures are more effective.
- The practice of acupuncture and Chinese medicine is over 3,000 years old, and has helped millions of people become well and stay healthy.
- It works!
According to the WHO, acupuncture is effective for relieving labor pain, nausea, vomiting, and back pain during pregnancy.3 Click to learn more...
According to Chinese medicine, infertility is caused by imbalance of Qi and Blood affecting one or more organ systems. Click to learn more...
- Human Reproduction Journal, Volume 11, Number 6, 1996
- Paulus W. et. al., influence of acupuncture on the pregnancy rate in patients who undergo assisted reproduction therapy. Fertility and Sterility, volume 77, April 2002, 721-724.
Acupuncture: Review and analysis of reports on controlled clinical trials, World Health Organization, Geneva, 2002. www.who.int/medicines